This course is ideal for students looking to take their first steps into the world of Hindustani Vocal Music. The course aims at providing a strong foundation where learning is a process of constant discovery. The student acquires the ability to use basic elements of music (melody and rhythm) to improvise musical phrases. The course will lay the foundation for acquiring clarity of voice and teach how to focus on the stability of the note and match pitch perfectly with the Tanpura. The student develops listening skills with an exploratory outlook in addition to acquiring knowledge. The OM book has got study material, reference reading material and listening material. The variety of prayers and folk songs are included in the book for the student to gain exposure to the richness of regional music. One Prayer and One folk song is learnt. The student learns a Bandish in Bhupali. Different songs and Bandish/compositions are given to initiate students into listening to classical music.
Batch Size: 3
Duration: 12 weeks, one 45 mins lesson per week
- Understand how to use the basic elements of music, notes and rhythm, in play
- Develop voice clarity
- Acquainting the Student to the physical Tanpura, and what Swaras the four strings are tuned to.
- Know to use the electronic Tanpura or Tanpura app for regular practice.
- Learn to focus on the stability of the note and match pitch perfectly with the Tanpura
- Initiation into improvisation of musical phrases and patterns - understanding Alankars and creating patterns
- Build awareness of different genres of music
- To learn to sing Seven Shuddh Swaras, simple patterns in these Swaras
- To be introduced to the Pentatonic scale of Raga Bhupali, sing simple patterns in this
- To learn One Prayer, One folk song and One Bandish/composition in Bhupali.
The students who are of 7 yrs of age need to have previous learning experience of one year.
It is advisable that children less than age 10 years, who wish to learn Hindustani vocal start from HV100A of HV100 series courses. These are specially designed foundational courses. Children of age 10years or below may be moved to HV100 series of courses.
Interest in music and curiosity to discover the joy of learning are the other prerequisites. There is no upper age limit. Music can be learnt at any age.
Swaras And Patterns
- Hey Prabhu
- Ganesh Vandana
- Vedic Chant
- Prayer To Allah
- UP Folk
- Pentatonic Scale
- Patterns With Five Swara
Rhythm Patterns And Swara Patterns
- Prathama Namana
- Nahi Maane
- Jabase Tumisana
- Baaje Jhanana
- Singing Swara Patterns in different Rhythm patterns
- Sounds of the Tabla
- Devise your own Rhythm Pattern
- Set a tune
- Poems in Hindi
After completion of HV101, student will be able to:
- Sing Shudh Swaras with the understanding of the placement of Swaras in the order of Aroha and Avaroha
- Sing ONE Prayer
- Sing ONE of the folk songs and experience the flavour of songs in different languages
- Create and sing simple Alankar patterns with Shudh Swaras(at least five patterns)
- Sing Alankar patterns in the pentatonic scale of Raga Bhupali(at least 2 patterns)
- Sing ONE of the Chhota Khayal Bandishes given in Raga Bhupali with awareness of the rhythm pattern of four
- Listen and identify different types of songs like devotional songs, folk songs and classical Bandishes